Traditions

With Christmas just a few weeks away, I have begun to think about some of our holiday traditions. One very special tradition is going to church on Christmas Eve to sing Christmas Carols and light candles. Gathering with family and friends to celebrate the birth of Jesus is always a joyous time that brings us all closer together.

When our children were young and still living at home, we had the tradition of decorating the Christmas tree as a family. Once the boxes of decorations had been gotten out, and my husband hung the lights on the tree, we, along with our two children, would hang ornaments, garland, and tinsel on the branches. Then we’d turn off the lights in the room and sit back to enjoy the colorful lighted tree.

Now that are son and daughter are older and have families of their own, my husband and I decorate our home together. This gives us a time of togetherness which we both enjoy.

What special family traditions do you have during the Christmas season?

Comments

1. Molly Loggins says

My husband and I have a two year old son. I guess you could say we are starting traditions with him. The three of us began decorating our Christmas tree this evening. My husband and son also hung some lights together outside. My son loves to be a helper!

2. Vivian Furbay says

When my kids were young we used to bake cookies for Christmas, read the Christmas story from Luke on Christmas eve, and gather with family on Christmas day. We still gather at my daughter’s home for a potluck meal and exchange gifts.

3. Martha Peace says

I love your books,I always visit my family at Christmas, Thanks for a change to win

4. Martha Stover says

I agree that decorating the Christmas tree with other family members is a wonderful tradition.

5. Peggy J Moncus says

This will be our first Christmas without my daddy this year, he passed away June 15th at the age of 92. We always get together at my sister’s house to spend the day. we give gifts to the younger children, the oldest being 25 the youngest being 17. We sit around talking, laughing, and playing games. I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a blessed one.

6. nancy watts says

We wait till we can all be together to decorate our tree. It is getting harder to do that now that both of our kids are out of the house and have a spouse. But I’m hoping to always be able to.

7. Our tradition was to go to the church in another town where our daughter and son-in-law are members to see and hear our daughter sing in the Christmas cantata. Although we seldom missed services in our local church where we were active members and participants, it was an exception we made every year. My husband died many years ago, but I still continue this tradition.

8. One of the traditions I remember was my mom making a Christmas ornament for us every year. She would write the date on the ornament. She no longer does this, but I still have all the ornaments she made me over the years.

9. Jennifer Short says

I have 2 sons, one is 22 and has a family, and one is 9 (almost 10, if you ask him) and we decorate outside, and then we start on the inside.. looks like a tornado came through for a while, but once we are finished, it is awesome… then we start out baking and celebrating, with family!! <3

10. Tracy L Smith says

We always decorated the tree with our children when they were home but since they are both married now, it is just the hubby and I. I am hoping that we can still be festive with just the two of us at home!!

11. Jennifer Decker says

There is a local park, as well as a local botanical garden that decorate beautifully for Christmas. We always make the time to walk around both of them. When we stay in town, my daughter is in the Christmas Eve service at church. However if we go to visit my parents, we always look forward to enjoying the Christmas Eve service at their church. Just pajamas get opened on Christmas Eve and after the service we always have Oyster Stew and French Onion Soup. We play games and watch “It’s a Wonderful Life”.

12. For many years we decorated inside and outside. Now we are both getting to old to drag out all
    the decorations. So we just put up a small tree on a table. We have no children of our own, but
    have a niece and her family and a nephew that come by. At this time we are unable to take in
    the things at church.

13. Kay Sasser says

We started years ago having Christmas at my mom’s house on Christmas Eve. We really enjoy it every year.

14. My favorite Christmas was when we had a big snow storm and the electric went out. We all had sandwiches and visited talked, and played games. No TV was on. It was my favorite of all time Christmas! We try to do that every year now. Thank you, and God Bless, Amy

15. Kathy Rowe says

When the kids were little, we’d bake Christmas cookies and decorate the tree. It was tradition that the kids would go out with their grandpa and cut down a tree each year. The kids would decorate not only our tree, but grandpa and grandma’s tree also. Of course, hot cocoa and cookies were served afterward. Such great memories and talked about and remembered each year and missing grandpa and grandma so much, but know they are watching from above.

16. Shirley Chapel says

Well my family is all grown and out of the nest now. Both my daughter and step son have their own homes and their own traditions. One tradition we’ve always had is the family meal or feast on Christmas day. I did it for many years until we downsized and moved to a senior apartment. Now my daughter has taken this tradition on each Thanksgiving and Christmas. We still get together every year. It might not be on Christmas day but on a day when everyone can be there. We we all saying that if it hadn’t been for grandpa and grandma meeting each other at my place of employment in Ontario Canada than everyone wouldn’t be there. Family humor not at all unlike the question of what is a real butter knife? Traditional conversation over the holiday meals. LOL!!

17. NancyB from Many LA says

WE don’t really do anything anymore. Our kids are grown and scattered, we just mail presents and/or cash…

18. Elsie FitzPatrick says

We live many miles away from family and old friends.
    We join in on the Christmas Dinner for seniors that have no family to have Christmas with, that our Golden Age Center has put on the last ten years since we have moved up to our town
    Nice quiet town wonderful scenery no matter what window we look out God is good,
    We have everything a small town can want stores, post office, restaurants, churches, Rec Centre, Library, Hospital, Friends coffee shop, and the Golden Age Center, etc.

19. Eleanor Davis says

When children were young, we would all have a Christmas breakfast then read the Christmas story before opening our gifts. Now we go south for the winter and are not with family for Christmas.
    Miss the old days but cherish the memories.

20. Sarah Stewart says

For many years, we would put up a tree and decorate it. I would put out our manager scene, which would be the first thing out, along with hanging the stockings. We don’t do all of that any more, due to not having the room. We do still do the manager scene and read a chapter of Luke nightly up until Christmas and sing carols.

21. I enjoy putting up my large Nativity set; I have others that up year ’round; I enjoy Christmas Day w/ my adult children and 5 grandsons, who are 15½, 12, 3½, 1½ 7 12 months! Having young children to celebrate the Birth of Christ makes Christmas even more meaningful!

22. Susan Abbott says

During childhood Christmases, my mom made penuche fudge for my dad’s family, as well as for friends. Every year at least one batch was not done correctly, overcooked, falling apart, etc. My poor dad got all the bad batches. Not sure that man ever. had a good batch of fudge!

23. Megann Zeigler says

All of our family is gone and since we never had children my husband cooks a fabulous meal (Which we eat for days and days) and we choose one item that we would like to buy for the year. Last year it was a large screen television for our room and this year we are thinking of a Temperpedic (sp) mattress. We really don’t need anything and are in the process of downsizing the house. We call distant relatives to say hi and just enjoy a quiet day. My husband does make fruitcake which is delicious as well and panatone bread. Hope everyone has a much blessed Christmas with the joy of Christs birth being the heart of the traditions you celebrate…

24. Melody K Jones says

Reading Scripture around the table is my favorite tradition. Sometimes I wish all the other elements of the Christmas holiday would disappear. We still participate in too many Christmas activities, but I do long for the quiet, reflective times spent singing, praying and scripture reading.

25. We always by a live tree that reaches the ceiling.
    Joan

26. We always buy a live tree that reaches the ceiling.
    Joan

27. When I was a little girl I would help my mom make chocolate and peanut butter fudge and peanut clusters for Christmas treats. We don’t make candy much not, but still enjoy decorating the tree with red, silver, and gingerbread ornaments. We also spend Christmas with my brother and his family.

28. Mauvelene McCoy says

I have started reading in the book of Luke. One chapter a day leading up to Christmas day.

29. Betty June Moore says

This is the 90th year that my husband and I will celebrate the birthday of Jesus. A nativity is always on display because that is the “reason for the Season”. Our five grandchildren and three great-grandchildren loves Grandma’s peanut butter and chocolate fudge, so I make plenty to go around.

30. Betty June Moore says

This is the 90th year that my husband I will celebrate the birthday of Jesus. A nativity is already on display in our home because that is the “reason for the Season”. Our two children, five grandchildren and three great-grandchildren loves Grandma’s peanut butter and chocolate fudges, so I try to make plenty to go around.

31. Tina Tolley says

I love the season of Advent. I strive to make every church service during Advent. I always feel closer to Jesus at this time. One of our traditions as a family is to open one gift on Christmas Eve (usually some Christmas Pajamas). Another tradition is to go to Candlelight services. I like to go to my home church for the 5 o’clock service and then go to a bigger church for the 11 pm service. We like to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus at midnight when service is over. I LOVE IT!!

32. My husband puts the tree up and if we aren’t using our pre lit tree, he puts the lights on. Then I put the garland and ornaments on. I always make People Puppy Chow and he makes his Chex mix. I usually make my mini banana breads at this time, too. Christmas Eve we go to church then we, along with our son, go out for supper. We come home and open gifts. We TRY to stay up till midnight. But as we get older it gets harder! 🙂 Christmas we get up whenever and then either do a turkey or a brisket for dinner. It’s a lazy kind of day for us.

33. Allison Schalck says

We write out and send our Christmas cards shortly after Advent begins. Then we put up the tree together as a family. On December 6th, the Feast of St. Nicholas, we put out stockings for smaller presents. We’ve begun a newer tradition of making homemade goodies for neighbors, friends at church as well as family before the season begins. On Christmas Eve, after mass, we have a meatless dinner with the tradition of sharing Oplatki and our prayers and wishes for friends and family. Christmas Day we celebrate the opening of the season with a bigger meal and more presents. The season is spent passing out those home made goodies, sharing our time and love with others as we celebrate Jesus’ coming.The tree is left up until sometime between the Epiphany and Candlemas, the end of the season.

34. Margaret Domer says

My family celebrates Christmas on Christmas eve. Due my girls go to there boyfriend family on Christmas day. I love watching the the small kids unwrap there gifts and watch there face light up. I have 4 grandchildren and they cant wait to tell what they want from Santa claus.

35. Family traditions include reading the Christmas story from the Bible and eating White Christmas Pie.

36. Debbie Benzi says

In the weeks before Christmas, I bake quite a few different cookies. My husband and I decorate the house. We gather together with our daughter and her husband and their three children for Christmas Eve dinner at our house . After dinner, the oldest granddaughter reads “The Night Before Christmas.” We go to their house on Christmas day for dinner and to exchange gifts.

37. Kathy Faul says

The first ornament on our tree every year is an old ornament from my dad’s childhood (Dad went home to Jesus nearly 35 years ago). It is always front and center on the tree. Now that our boys are grown with their families, we all celebrate Christmas together on Christmas Eve. Big meal, exchange of gifts, game playing.

38. We always fill stockings with little trinkets and odd and ends.
    Marion

39. We fill a big Santa Claus bag with fun gift for all.
    Marilyn

40. Tammy Ross says

I cross stitched stockings for my three boys who are now 32, 30 and 27. We still hang and fill those stockings as well as stockings for the daughters-in-law and our two precious granddaughters. We eat way to many sweets and enjoy playing games and laughing together. The boys live three different states and we live in a different one yet so we are grateful that we can get together a couple times each year.

41. We enjoy family gatherings, time home with our family, Sunday School program at church, and our much needed break from school! Also, lots of fresh home baked goods!

42. Debra Patton says

Our traditions include cutting our own tree and attending Christmas Eve service at our church.

43. Gail Benoit says

My Grandchildren help decorate the tree and put out the decorations, At 76 I can’t do it without them, We have out big meal on and gift exchange as the Grandchildren go to their Father’s on Christmas Day

44. Adrienne Davis says

We don’t really have a tradition when it comes to putting up the tree or decorating the house. Ever since my son was little, however, we’ve opened 1 present on Christmas Eve and save the rest for Christmas Day. One year, finances were extremely tight so we made it a “homemade gift” Christmas. It was really nice to have something made from the heart.

45. While growing up, my 3 siblings and I would bake and decorate sugar cookies, some to eat and some to hang on the “kids” tree. This tradition went by the wayside until there were young ones around again. More recently, as the next generation grew older, we changed from cookies to making and decorating a large Santa face out of bread dough. The laughs and camaraderie and memories are priceless!

46. Fannie Wiggins says

When my children were small and my husband was still here we spent Christmas Eve with my family. After opening presents, we went to my husband ‘s mother’s for breakfast and more gifts. We ate out Christmas dinner later in the day. I have been on my own for 29 years only having my children able to be here rarely. My daughter loved in California for 6 years and then in Japan for 3 years. It was hard for them to travel with small children and her husband being in the military. My son always has to work as he is a paramedic. So for many years there have been no traditions followed. I don’t expect this year to be any different. I am not crying about it. I love my family and know that they are building their own traditions. Life is what it is.