Acceptance

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the Amish people I know, it’s their ability to accept things that happen to them as God’s will. Recently, one of our dear Amish friends was in a terrible accident, where her buggy got hit from behind. When the vehicle hit her, the impact was so great that it demolished the buggy, killed the horse, and injured my friend’s neck and spine. This sweet Amish lady kept an attitude of acceptance throughout her hospital stay, and is now at home recovering, where she is still keeping a positive attitude and a smile on her face. Some of her family and friends who have visited her say that when they leave this young woman’s home, they feel as though she has ministered to them, instead of the other way around. She even told one person I spoke with that if something good came out of her accident, it would be worth all the discomfort she’d been through.
Life isn’t always fair, but if we learn to appreciate what we have and trust God with our future, we’ll feel a sense of peace and acceptance. Remember this week to accept what you must and change what you can. Look to the future with a sense of hope and thank God for each new day. What do you have to thank God for today?

Comments

1. She is such a wise young lady and thank you Wanda for sharing her story with us, God does put us through trials so we can hopefully learn from them and, become close to him.I thank Him everyday for the trials I have gone through.
    Bless you

2. Margaret Domer says

Thankfully to wake up every morning and be able to breathe in God bounty’s

3. Wendy Denardo says

I thank God for my family, I have 4 wonderful children that God gave me and they are such inspiring young people, they show Gods love daily and try to live for his glory..

4. Oh wow! Prayers for your friend and thankful you shared this story! I am also thankful to God for helping me battle my health issues. They are scary most days but I feel God with me and know he and my dear mama are watching over me and helping through.

5. Mary Deweese says

Thankful for so many blessings in my life, especially my family! They have been so supportive and helpful to me during a season of illness that I’ve been going through over the last three years. I don’t know what I would have done without them!

I have surgery coming up on Tuesday, the 4th, and I’m praying that is the start to my healing!

6. Robin Slinkard says

I’m thankful that God gave us good surgeons to take my husband’s cancer.

7. Thankful that my husband has beat cancer twice now.

8. Shari Stone says

Thank you for sharing, may God bless you and help with her recovery. We don’t understand the trails that we go through sometimes but it is always good to know the God is with us!

• I’m very blessed how God has gotten me thru the years post divorce. The bills outweighed the income (not from lavish living), but there was always something there to pay the bills even tho I had to work 3 jobs, the $$ just wasn’t enough, it was a miracle.

9. Suzanne Sellner says

I am thankful for my loving, thoughtful husband. God gave me such a wonderful helpmate to share my life–44 years together.

10. Nancy A Johnson says

So grateful for my children and their families being there three years ago as I went through a grave illness with heart and kidneys. God is good!

11. I’m thankful most of all for my salvation provided through Jesus Christ. He forgave me when I was undeserving. Therefore I should forgive others, but that’s not always easy for us as humans. We still live in his human body, although we are Christians if we accept Christ. We should be like Him as much as is humanly possible. I’ve been in situations that it is very hard to forgive. When you are hurt as well as your family by those who claim to know the Lord, it’s hard to understand and forgive. I’ve found after 10 years in a situation I have forgiven but for my mind to forget it, I can’t. God would have to erase it from my mind. But God knows our hearts .

12. Mary Roelke says

Thankful that I wake up each morning & that I can still work parttime. Being a crossing guard is such a rewarding job especially if you get to work with elementary kids.

13. I’m thankful for my family and friends. We have been so blessed. God is good!

14. Bevie McLean says

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person ,place, thing, or situation unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.
    Absolutely nothing happens by mistake in God’s world. AMEN

15. Betty Jo Blevins says

Thank you for sharing that story. The problem in the world today is not many people look for what good can come out of a bad situation. We all should take the attitude to minister to others even in our pain and look for the good in every day living and share with others. Keep up the wonderful writings. Love all your books and hope to see you soon at another of your book signings. It has been two years since I saw you, your daughter-in-law and wonderful granddaughter.

16. I am thankful that I wake up each morning and have such wonderful family and friends.

17. Thank you for the journal entry. We all learn from each experience, whether good or bad. A good attitude is an important part of growing. I am definitely thankful for my family.

18. Debbi Shaw says

thankful to be alive and with my mind and vision. so i can read ! 🙂

19. Donna Bratton says

I am so Thankful to God for my life. The lady is so right about things happening for a reason. I had breast cancer in 2005 and I believe this was a happening to bring me closer to God because I was drifting slowly away. Also I broke my femur in January and I believe this was God way of slowing me down because I was just going constantly and was wearing my body down, God has reasons for all things and I am so thankful to be a child of God. I also lost my husband in 1993. He was only 39. I prayed to God everyday to get me thru the day and Thanked him at night.

20. Marilyn Whissen says

I love the Amish way of accepting whatever life hands them. I have learned to accept whatever God sends although sometimes we wonder why. We are in human bodies and He sees the future.

21. Thankful that my family and I all woke up today, to marvel at all around us.

22. KAREN TACKETT says

So much to be thankful for today!!! Five years ago I almost lost my husband to a brain bleed but Praise God and His awesome healing, I still have my husband of 51 years and we enjoy each day to its fullest keeping the Lord’s divine appointments. Thank you for sharing about this young Amish woman’s situation and desire to have something good come out of her pain and suffering. I know the Lord has used her countenance, joy in the midst of the trial, to bless and encourage many around her. Your story blessed me and I live far away from Pennsylvania in Texas!!! Blessings on you dear Wanda! I do so love your stories!!!

23. Vicky Block says

I love to read books about Amish people, they are so pure, I would like to read more, they just don’t come out fast enough for me.

24. Penny Knowlton says

Everyday on earth is a blessing. My youngest daughter has chosen to move far away and will not communicate and that’has been hard to accept but I’ve just had to accept that God knows her heart and we will be together in heaven.

25. Connie W says

I love, love, love your last paragraph in your Acceptance entry!
    I am hoping to print it out and frame! Awesome words to remember on a daily basis!!

Have a wonderful day!

Blessings,
    Connie

26. Samantha Sundquist says

Wanda,

So sorry to hear about your friend. It’s terrible that buggy accidents are still happening, I hope the person who hit her learned their lesson and is grateful for that opportunity and that they didn’t end up killing your friend as well. What a blessing it is to have your friend stay so hopeful and positive, it’s hard to keep doing that every day sometimes, let alone during our most difficult times. Gratitude for the every day is something I’ve been working on this year and with stories like this it’s certainly important and inspiring to see that hope and a positive outlook are sometimes the strongest path to healing the body, mind, and heart. I do hope your friend heals fast and gets well soon, but meanwhile she is a great example for us all, Amish and non.

27. Sherri Hines says

Health is always something I am thankful for. My mom is currently battling an undiagnosed disease that has stolen her ability to use her hands, then feet, and ability to hear and track to read or follow conversations but she is surrounded by friends who visit often and care for her.

My friend once said to remember to be thankful: “What if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you had said thanks to God for the day before?” A good reminder to be thankful and not take any gifts from God for granted.

28. Becky Ward says

Thank you for sharing this young lady’s story with us. I thank the Lord for getting up every day and having work the days I do work since some days my workplace doesn’t gave work. I’m also blessed to have good friends in my life too.

29. Darlene Carroll says

It can be hard to have acceptance of difficult situations. But if you do find a way to have acceptance of the situation then it seems to make it so much easier to deal with hard situations. I am thankful for my family and friends, they enrich my life.

30. Cindi Hoppes says

Hello, Just a few of my blessings are two wonderful
    sons, three grandchildren and two delightful daughter
    in laws! I also have two special nieces in my life,
    along with great friendships! I am rather healthy, and
    my Daisy Beagle is one of my best friends… My
    faith and spirituality help me through the good and
    not so good times in life.
    Many thanks, Cindi
    💐

31. Dee Carter says

A heart wrenching story but a beautiful outcome.
    I am so thankful for my health and my families health although we do have a totally handicapped 21year old grandson. We pray that he is always comfortable since he doesn’t talk “our language” and we don’t understand his. We are thankful for him in any way he his.
    I’m very thankful for my husband who does things for me even if I don’t ask, like opening bottles or jars. Arthritis isn’t very kind some days! Also thankful for you Wanda for the beautiful stories you write.

32. Teresa Maddox says

I am thankful that I am blessed by waking up each day. I suffered a stroke in 2016 and have a more positive outlook on life now. I understand that we have to live life to the fullest and appreciate the little things. Don’t sweat the small stuff and live each day as if it were our last. I now appreciate the things I took for granted. God is definitely the only reason I am here and I am so thankful that he has a purpose for me to continue being in this world.

33. Ruth Haer says

I am thankful for each and every day God has given me. In 1971 I was in a major accident. My life was changed, but God wasn’t finished with my life. I. Blessed with a wonderful Godly husband, two children, three step- children, and 10 grandchildren. Remaining in the Lird, as well as positive is theckey.

34. Karen Sheeley says

Thank you for sharing that story of that sweet Amish lady. I pray to be more accepting of what God has in store for me. I thank him so much for all his blessings. Thank you also for your great inspirational books.

35. Janice Dimas says

Thank you for sharing this story. If we all had her attitude about God we would struggle so much.
    She sound like someone we all need to get to know and learn from.
    I love reading your books.
    God Bless you and you family.

36. Judy Davis says

Thank you for sharing this story. How inspiring! I am so thankful for my husband and 3 children. We’ve had some rough times over the years, but have never lost our faith. God has always blessed us with good health, a roof over our heads and food on the table. I am also thankful for your books.

37. Libby Price says

She sounds like such a very sweet lady. Glad to hear that she is home recovering. I pray to be more accepting of what our dear God has in store for me. I am very thankful for him and all of his blessings. I am so very thankful for my family and friends and that I am blessed to wake up every morning. Thank you for all of your wonderful inspirational books. I love reading them. Thank you for sharing them with me and for sharing your website too.

• Phyllis Fatet says

Im thankful for my life i was in a terrible car accident in 2002! I died a couple of times but god wasnt ready for me yet . I had my leg broke n 5 places and my arm in 3 places . I surrived and im trying to live a goid life . It because of God im alive . He wasnt ready for me yet . . Thank you God for my life .

38. Johannah says

I am extremely thankful for my 3 wonderful grand children. They light up my world!

39. Beverly Summers says

Your words are great reminder that our God guides and controls our lives when we give Him the reigns. I do believe that The Lord is never surprised or caught off guard by anything that happens in our lives!

Today, June 1st, is the first anniversary of my last remaining sibling’s home-going. I really miss her. I miss all of my family who have gone on ahead! But, I’m so very thankful for the Lord’s promise of a grand and glorious reunion to come! I’m also thankful for the friends & extended family He has added to my life!

40. theresa norris says

Hope she doing well.

41. Kris Ross says

Im thankful for my family and friends, who are, for the most part, healthy and happy….Im thankful for being able to do things I enjoy like gardening, sewing….and other crafts….for coffee and porch swings and rockers….

42. Ellen Wycuff says

I wish the Englishers would be more mindful of thehitter and buggies. It’s a shame accidents like this one had to happen.

43. Gilda Weisskopf says

I an thankful and blessed that I have such a caring husband. We travel two hours each day for his cancer treatment and his concern is if am doing OK.

44. Beverly Vinegar says

Lifting her in prayer. I pray that I would be as accepting as this dear lady if so.ething like that was to happen to me or my family. What wonderful faith the Amish have.

45. I am blessed with two wonderful sisters.
    Marilyn

46. I have great family and friends.
    Joan

47. i am blessed with great family,friends and neighbors.
    Marion

48. Thankful for my husband of 51 years. Also 2 daughters, sons-in -law, and 2 grandchildren. Many friends and family. Everything that we have.

49. This reminds me of when a good friend was diagnosed with lung cancer. He was in final stages. A group of us went to visit to “cheer” him up. He ended up cheering us up! He prayed for us!
    I am thankful for my family and friends. And my church family Most of all for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Who loves me no matter what.

50. Barbara Fitton says

I am blessed to still be able
    To get up every day and go to wrk at my age and am thankful that God sees me through each day.I have Crohns and God gives me the strength every day to work and . I am blessed to be near family after 3 years. I love your books and thank you for all you do.

51. Latina Deon Stroughter says

I have EVERYTHING to be thankful for each day God BLESSES me to live to see a brand new day! I am thankful for life, for the opportunities that each day brings. I am thankful that I have ALMIGHTY GOD in my life surrounding me, protecting me, and BREATHING THE BREATH OF HIS LIFE inside of me! I am thankful for the BLOOD OF JESUS THAT COVERS me! Truely, “everyday is a day of THANKSGIVING!”

52. Linda G Ford says

Thank You for sharing.God Bless that Dear Lady..I’m THANKFUL for God saving my soul…And for my Family..
    And Also For the Great Christian Writers.that give us such great books to read.. THANK YOU ANN

53. Vivian Furbay says

I thank God for the beautiful weather this weekend and that my husband and i are in fair health for out ages, 72 and 85.

54. Mary Preston says

It’s not always easy to accept, but with faith and time.

55. Jean Mitchell says

Love your books.

56. Deborah Dumm says

I am thankful that my family is relatively healthy.

57. Natalie Carwile says

I am thankful for my husband of almost 50 years who has patients to deal with me and my crazy family.

58. DOROTHY PORTER says

Every since I started reading Amish books there is one thing that the Amish do that I have tried to put in my every day life skills. They say that every thing that happens is God’s will. Wither it be good or bad times, if I am a Christian and doing the very best that I can than I believe that everything that happens is God’s will. Also, I live in a apartments for Senior Citizens, Disable & Low Income and I try to treat our community like the Amish community. We take care of each other. I wish the world we live in could be that way but as for today in my family and friends we take care of each other. God bless you!

59. Andrea Leonard says

Hello Wanda,
    What a wonderful testimony from this precious Amish friend of yours. Wow! She surely is
    a great encourager and a wonderful witness for the Lord too, in sharing how much she
    accepts what is happening to her now in her life. She knows that God is our present help
    in time of trouble but she lives this and is a great handmaiden of God’s. So precious, indeed.
    Thank you for sharing about her with me. This truly encourages me and speaks to me to go
    on with acceptance and if anything at all comes of this to give God the glory, that is so important.
    I, too, have a rare problem which is called Odontoid Pannus, a life threatening disease that began
    with RA and has ruined the main Odontoid bone in my neck which connects the neck to the
    skull allowing it to pivot all ways. As the bone now is almost completely destroyed by RA, I
    have to be extremely careful not to move my head to either side, to sneeze and many other ways that
    could bring on a sudden death if the bone continues to be deformed and is less than an inch from
    touching my brain as seen on the recent MRI. So am wearing a hard neck brace to keep me in line
    and can only sleep on my back at all times. Anyway, I am accepting this well and have learned to
    live with this but am learning to lean on the Lord far more than ever before. This dear Amish lady
    is helping me with her testimony, Again, I thank you for sharing it with me.
    Love with Deep Gratefulness, , Andrea

60. Forgiveness is a hard one for many people they don’t understand when you hold on to unforgiveness it hurts you more you don’t have to condone the action but the Lord ask us to forgive Through that you can have a peace

61. Debbie Benzi says

I am most thankful for my family. This past year, I have learned a lot about forgiving and accepting — sometimes that is difficult with the people closest to me. I am grateful that when I pray for guidance, God always answers. He is so good to me. I am very blessed.

62. Linda Waxler says

I am so thankful for my family. After raising 3 children as a single parent, God placed a baby in my life at age 48. She graduated from high school this year. Such a blessing from God

63. Jackie L Orr says

I love your books. Please keep writing them.

64. Gladys Paradowski says

My husband suffered two serious falls this week, but fortunately two men driving by stopped and aided him in getting to a bench on our patio. He is now recuperating and things could have so much worse. I am amazed that two men in separate cars drove by and helped him. I seems that God sent them by at just the needed time.

65. Pam Yeager says

I am Thankful for everything I have. I am very thankful the Lord let me have 55 wonderful years with my father, 52 years with my wonderful mother, 28 wonderful years with my baby girl before he called her home to be with the lord and 17 wonderful years with my husband for the last 4 years it has really been hard with the lose of my mom, husband, my Daughter and my dad. I know a lot of people would just give up and some times I feel that way, but I know the Lord is with me everyday and night. Thank you all for reading my store.

66. Deanna Delia says

That young lady has so much courage which enables her to move forward. I believe when you have Jesus Christ in your heart, you can overcome any obstacle. Everyone needs to believe!❤️

67. I am thankful for my husband,children,grandchildren and all of my siblings.Thankful for waking up each morning and enjoying each day as a blessing.

68. Sondra Thatcher says

I am thankful that my family is safe. 2 weeks ago we had 5 inches of rain in 5 hours. My daughter’s sump pump quit working and she had 9 inches of muddy water in her basement. While she lost most of her belongings down there no one was hurt. Then this past Monday we had many tornadoes go through our area. One of them hit a block from my son’s trailer park. Luckily he and his roommate had time to seek shelter in the roommates church. Thank God they were both safe. Have a very Blessed day.

69. Linda Greig says

I so enjoy your books. The stories are so interesting and it is so nice to step into the lives of the people in the books. I love to share the joys and hardships that you make available in your books. Blessings on you and keep writing thoses amazing books

70. Pauline McTaggart says

Thank you for sharing this story it was very uplifting. I feel so fortunate at my age (80) that I’m still able to take care of myself and live in my home. I still love to read and the Amish books that I had read over the years I shared with others. You are a talented writer and I always enjoyed your books…..Have a wonderful day

71. Linda Rabe says

Thankful especially that my brother in law had chest pains so severe that he went to the hospital. Learned he has the four main arteries plugged. He will have surgery tomorrow June 3 in Seattle at Virginia Mason. They have one of the best heart surgeons in the United States.

72. IDA ELAM says

I am Thankful to just still be alive at 81, so many relatives and friends has left at a much
    younger age, I lost my baby sister when she was 56 due to a brain tumor. Each day gets
    brighter all the time. God is good all the time. All the time God is good.

73. Hugh Ann Cason-Kelly says

The Lord left Paul’s thorn with him and I believe we have ours for the same reasons. It’s an ongling lesson to accept {them} as a part of God’s grace for our lives.

74. Ernestine Kaye Haggard says

Thank you for sharing this story God is great he has helped me through a lot I wouldn’t have made it with out his strength I love your books

75. Anna Hesser says

It was a joy meeting with you and your family at the Friendship Book Store last Sat.; May 25th, the day before my birthday. I got the new book as a birthday present from my Aunt. I haven’t started on it yet because I am reading a series of Amish books that belong to a friend of mine, but when I am done with them it will be the next one on my list.

God Bless!

76. Jeannette Miller says

I love to read books that you have written. They give daily lessons about how the Amish handle things that we take for granted.

77. Amanda Sweet says

Today I can thank God for my family and freedom to live in the USA. I have free some to attend church services, and for health and strength for my family.

78. Melissa Andres says

Today I am especially grateful! My three children went on a two week adventure traveling to the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Billings, MT, and Medora & Fargo, ND. They drove 3,816 miles and all are safe and healthy back home! I am so grateful the Lord allowed them this opportunity and safety as they went!

79. Angie estep says

Interesting journal entry. We ate at the sale barn in topeka a restaurant my mom loves. We had a great meal paid and were ready to leave when my mom had a medical emergency. Ambulance was called and a first responder happened to be an Amish man. He was amazing you could see the compassion in his eyes. He spoke calmly and directly with my mom with eye contact and was so good at what he was doing. Many Amish women in the restaurant spoke with me and wished me well with mom. My mom is going to be ok thank goodness. Thanks to care of all who helped her!

80. Doris Hodge says

I love reading ALL your books when I read a book I feel like I am right there in the story myself

81. Today I thank God for my healthy, loving family. I’ve lost 3 friends this spring to heart attacks and cancer. It’s a strong reminder to appreciate how much God has blessed my family.

I’ll add the young Amish woman to my prayers. She is a fine example of how we should all strive to live. I pray she makes a full recovery.

Thank you for your newsletter. I enjoy the stories and recipes you share with us. I appreciate you!
    Heidi

82. Stephanie Cantrell says

God never gives us more than we can handle.
    Blessings to all!

83. Thank you, Wanda. Truly inspiring

84. Susan Newton says

Thank you for sharing!
    I look forward to reading your journal entries!

85. Sonya Spoon says

Such a positive outlook from this young lady. A lot of people have such a negative outlook on life and everything that is going on in their lives every day. We really must be thankful that God has woke us up and given all the many blessings that He has given us. Yes, I think as she does if my life has just helped one person along the way it is worth it. Thank you for this reminder of all the things we must thank God for today.

86. SARAH TAYLOR says

I AM SO THANKFUL FOR MY HEALTH MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS WOULD LOVE TO WIN THE BOOK YOU ARE GIVING AWAY GOD BLESS THE AMISH LADY!

87. I thank God for His provision in my life including rain yesterday which was needed and prayed for due to a long stretch of record breaking hot weather without rain.

88. Sarah M. Arnold says

I am thankful for my family and the fact my husband kept his job this week. I am thankful for the fact my husband went to church with me Sunday.

89. I am thankful for my family and my health. Each day I try to find the good in every situation. Life is short, enjoy each and every day!

90. Betty Monda says

I have always admired the Amish and how easily they accept things as God’s will. We can all learn
    A lesson from them. I know that I have learned several lessons from them in reading the books on the Amish.,I love reading books on their ways of life and things they go through. Thank you for writing such amazing books that we can learn lessons about God, others beliefs and way of live.

91. Lorri Graves says

I am thankful that I have a roof over my head, food on my table and a healthy family.

92. priscilla says

I am thankful for all the blessings the Lord has provided. I am also thankful for the things I prayed for that I didn’t get because the Lord had other plans and knew what was best for me. So in other words I thank God for unanswered prayers. Like the Amish, it is a wonderful place just to feel content. Blessings to all

93. Rhonda Riley says

This year alone has given us a lot to be thankful for. January our son hit ice & his car rolled many times. Got out with just bumps & bruises. February my parents home but to the ground. Everyone got out just after thier exit the house fell in. Now my family is living with us. We have learnt so much about our faith over just a short amount of time. Fortunately all of this everyone amazingly came out out uninjured physically. Thank You Lord for looking over us. God is Great.

94. Barbara Myus says

I have many things to be thankful for. I am thankful first of all, for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I am thankful parents that raised us in church and the Christian faith. And thankful for them trusting with my life, as I was born in 1938, with a brain tumor which was new to the doctors as far as surgery was concerned, giving a 50/50 chance of survival, and wasn’t expected to live past my teens.. An aunt had a relative preacher suggested that he come a pray with my parents before surgery for healing and that I would be a “lighthouse ” in my family for God. I am now eight-one years old, and at 6 years old gave my heart to God and gave my life to His service at eighteen. Have served Him in many ways as teacher, leader in women’s ministries in churches we were members.and in manyareas of my life. Have had many challenges in my life, but God has been with me through all of them. Injuries included. God has been faithful throughout all the challenges. Praise God for everything! He is still on His throne waiting for everyone to trust Him as their Savior.
    Don’t wait, do it today!

95. Today, I thank God for my wonderful and amazing family. They are my everything and I need to be better at being grateful for them each day!

96. I thank God for my “tree of life” son. My husband and I were married for 17 years before our son came to us through adoption. We were able to bring him home from the hospital, that was 10 years ago! 🙂
    God knows when the perfect time is for everything!

97. Lisa Roberts says

I am thankful for everything God has done for me . I’m blessed with a good job , husband, children and grand children , and that my mother is still with us. Thankful everyday

98. Julie Martin says

Sending get well wishes and prayers for your friend. I thank God every day for the blessings of family, health and happiness. May God bless us all. 😊